Recruitment for 2023/2024 San Benito County Civil Grand Jury
The Superior Court of San Benito County is currently accepting applications from interested San Benito County residents for the position of grand juror for the 2023/2024 San Benito County Civil Grand Jury.
The California Constitution requires the appointment every year of a Grand Jury for each county. Here in San Benito County, 19 Grand Jurors are appointed to serve for a term of one (1) year, but not more than two (2) consecutive years. The Grand Jury is an official body of the Court with independent authority that is not answerable to administrators or legislators. Its principal purpose is to protect the public interest. Appointment to the Grand Jury provides citizens a means to participate in the affairs of the local governments.
Qualifications for grand jurors:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Reside in San Benito County for at least one (1) year before being selected
- Have ordinary intelligence and good character
- Possess a working knowledge of the English language
- Not presently be serving as a trial juror
- Not have been a Grand Juror within one year of being selected (although for ease of transition from one year to the next, Jurors can voluntarily be held over for a second year at the discretion of the Court)
- Not have been convicted of a felony or malfeasance in office; and
- Not presently be serving as an elected official